We all have come across a situation at a local car repair shop when a part that needs replacement is out of stock and we need to revisit when the part is made available. It is basically an inefficient use of time and a waste of resources as well. A simple spare parts management software being used at this repair shop would ensure a happy customer who shall go back for more.
Spare parts are treated by most manufacturers as extra items for an engine or any vehicle for domestic or industrial use. They are considered uneconomical by the service shops as they are unable to predict their use, store them properly which will lead to defects, maintain an inventory with the associated cost or not be able to order a spare when needed from a supplier. But this reluctance to change can bring down the customer’s satisfaction levels appreciably leading to further problems.
Most of the time, parts warehouses and inventories do not get the same attention from management as they perceive them as only support functions and not income-generating departments. They wrongly assume that spare parts will be easy to manage and this leads to them operating less efficiently or cutting corners when the time comes. Sometimes these quick-fix solutions work but most times they fail and create much more trouble.
A spare parts management software can help the department to be more proactive and responsive in the plant and help the company save money. A complete strategic process can be generated through a vehicle management solution in the form of spare parts management software to provide the right spare at the right time. This is done by effectively managing the inventory in an organization that helps increase productivity, reduce the spend on parts, decrease downtime, and also boosts the production process.
This software can help to:
- Systematically identify the spare parts and keep an inventory of them to be used at a later date as and when required. A software system will track where the spare part is being held and by whom so that it can be retrieved easily as soon as the need arises.
- Manage the bills by ordering and placing work orders for the spare parts making the whole process as simple as clicking a button. An accurate system will also help you schedule any preventive maintenance required for any machine or equipment, especially in an industrial setting.
- Streamline the process of procuring, storing, and retrieving the spare part in the nick of time and with all necessary paperwork taken care of without any sort of human error creeping in the process.
- Ensure that all effective security measures are considered to store and use the spare parts. This should be further strengthened with physical security measures like a security camera and a system that prevents any unauthorised employee from entering the inventory stock location and taking parts out on their own.
- Utilise the parts inventory functionality to ensure accuracy and ease in managing the parts warehouse with barcodes and scanning features in conjunction with the system to enhance the visibility of a spare part and its ultimate usage.